Free Song: He Giveth More Grace

I’ve always loved the text to the old hymn “He Giveth More Grace” by Annie Johnson Flint, and the story behind it too. Annie endured incredible physical suffering throughout her life, and clung to God’s inexhaustible grace through it all. This hymn is a profound acknowledgement of the heaviness and burdens of this life – and a wonderful proclamation of the great power of God, and His generous grace in Jesus Christ that are available to us.

I wrote a new melody for this hymn a few years ago, and since then I’ve been amazed at how these lyrics have blessed people who have heard and/or sung it.

Below you’ll find a video of me singing the song, along with links to a free chord chart, and lead sheets as well. I hope this song is a blessing to you!

Chord chart
Lead sheet in C
Lead sheet in D
Lead sheet with first three verses in C, and modulation to D for verse four

Lyrics:

He giveth more grace as our burdens grow greater

He sendeth more strength as our labors increase
To added afflictions He addeth His mercy
To multiplied trials He multiplies His peace

When we have exhausted our store of endurance
When our strength has failed ere the day is half done
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources
Our Father’s full giving is only begun

Fear not that thy need shall exceed His provision
Our God ever yearns His resources to share
Lean hard on the arm everlasting, availing
The Father both thee and thy load will upbear

His love has no limits, His grace has no measure
His power no boundary known unto men
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus

He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again

Words: Annie Johnson Flint. Music: Jamie Brown.
© 2013 Worthily Magnify Music. All rights reserved. CCLI Song # 7055874.

10 thoughts on “Free Song: He Giveth More Grace

1. Simeon Duncan October 28, 2015 / 5:28 pm

Beautiful recasting of a hymn with important truths. Well done.

2. Linda Bronkar October 30, 2015 / 12:13 pm

Thank you so much for this! Printing it out right now. Beautiful.

3. dawnweaver October 30, 2015 / 1:08 pm

Beautiful. May your work bring fresh exposure to an old favorite. I for one like it! And will pass it on…

4. Jonathan Franzone October 31, 2015 / 9:07 pm

Wow, thanks for that! I’ll be working that into our music rotation as soon as I can. Great work.

5. Michelle Fuss November 6, 2015 / 11:28 am

I love this rendition. Can it be purchased anywhere?

• Jamie Brown November 6, 2015 / 11:54 am

Hi Michelle. The sheet music and chord chart are free, but there is not a good recording of it downloadable yet. Hopefully in the next six months or so I can get something produced 🙂

6. Char November 10, 2015 / 9:57 am

I have been leading worship for about 8 years. I did not grow up in the church, so I don’t know any of the old hymns. I only know the newer music. Here is my question. There are many older people in our church that only know the old hymns. They are wonderful mature Christians who love God and worship Him no matter what kind of music is playing. I have bought CD’s with hymns done by contemporary artists so that I could learn the old songs in a new way. However, my pastor is against doing the hymns in a new way because he says that people find comfort in doing them the way they were written. He is extremely encouraging to me to lead worship in the way and style that God is leading me, so he is definitely not against new! However, because he feels this way, there are no hymns being sung (( am the only worship leader). I feel bad for the older people although no one complains. What are your thoughts on this?

• Jamie Brown November 10, 2015 / 12:28 pm

Hi Char,

I’m glad that your pastor is supportive of you, and that the older members of your congregation aren’t burdening you with their complaints. While no church is perfect, it sounds like God has placed you in a very healthy environment. That’s wonderful!

To answer your question about hymns, I would encourage you to start simple and go from there. Start with hymns like “Be Thou My Vision”, “Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing”, “Praise to the Lord the Almighty”, “Great is Thy Faithfulness”, “It is Well with My Soul”, “How Great Thou Art”, “Jesus Paid it All”, “Holy, Holy, Holy” and “O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing” that are widely known all around the world, by different ages, in different denominational camps, and using different kinds of accompaniment. Further, these hymns are usually (though not always) done using their “original” melody.

I wouldn’t be so fast to introduce re-tuned hymns since the more familiar tunes will really resonate with your congregation. Check out Bob Kauflin’s two CDs that he recorded live at Together For the Gospel if you want to hear the melodies and learn them. He’s usually posted the chord charts and/or lead sheets for his arrangements at Sovereign Grace Music’s website (for free).

Definitely lead in the style you’re most comfortable. But look for one or two hymns you can learn and introduce, and you will earn major points with your people.

I hope this helps!
      Jamie

7. L Snyder April 20, 2016 / 10:21 am

Thank you for sharing your original music with such powerful words from an old hymn. Very nicely done!

8. jdj333 July 11, 2016 / 4:34 pm

Great to have this more contemporary sounding version with new melody. The original song with melody by Hubert Mitchell carried me through a very difficult ministry time when the demands where greater than I thought I could bear. Thank you.